Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Drinking a Cloud / Sound of Sea Freewrite

I am drinking a cloud
Or the sound of the sea
I am drinking a drum
I am thumping impossible
Bear down on plausible
Water from chocolate or
Cheese from a stone -
I'm clamping the clone of this thought.

When the tide pulls out it trips
And gurgles, humiliated and raw.
If I stare it will continue to shudder,
Drawing itself to safety,
And sometime before dawn it will slink in,
Sure as guilt.
I can't watch that long:
I won't be waiting.
I'll be off tearing fingernails
And wringing necks,
Craning toward a cloud,
Opening my throat.
Don't you want to climb,
Say farewell to the shore?

I forget myself -
That sad chill that cliff-dwells
That bears down
That sea-binds,
Hangs tight and holds on.
That drawstring that gathers,
That water that gurgles,
Those oysters that clatter,
Those waves, and the tide
Has come in.

No comments: