Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In a Murderous Time (Villanelle)

The heart breaks and breaks and lives by breaking.
I work hard to understand
the whole idea of war--peace through death; how's that going?

Morning news shows the Ship of State sinking;
adds a fresh news bite from the Captain.
The American heart breaks and lives by breaking.

Sometimes, I think this President is joking
when he trots out his latest plans.
We're kickin; ass, he says; we're winning.

Sometimes, I think this President is dreaming
or just phoning it in from Texas ranch land.
The world's heart breaks and lives by breaking.

Sometimes, I wonder what he's smoking
as he takes another bold stand.
Peace through torture--how's that working?

The war drags on and the world is watching.
I work hard to comprehend
how the heart breaks and keeps on breaking.
Peace through fear; how's that working out?

No comments: